Somerville Scholarship Announcement
Application Deadline: December 15th, 2020
Somerville's Commitment to Career Development for Indigenous Apprentices
In partnership with Trade Winds to Success, Robert B. Somerville Co. is proud to have established the Somerville Indigenous Trades Apprentice Award to demonstrate their dedication to improving the ability of Indigenous employment candidates to pursue a meaningful and sustainable career in the pipeline construction industry.
Somerville is strongly committed to creating opportunities for long-term career path development for Indigenous employment candidates. One of the most effective ways to support sustainable career development in the pipeline construction industry is to hire Indigenous trades apprentices on Summerville projects and provide mentorship and certification opportunities. A further way to support Indigenous employment candidates is to provide financial support for Indigenous trades apprentices.
The scholarships shall be allocated to First Nation, Metis, or Inuit candidates who have completed their pre-apprenticeship training through Trade Winds to Success (TWTS).
Two awards of $500 will be allocated once per year.
- Must be First Nation, Metis, or Inuit.
- Must have completed a Trade Winds to Success program within the past 4 years.
- Must be indentured and an active apprentice in year 1, 2, 3, or 4 of apprenticeship certification.
- Able to demonstrate overcoming hardship and adversity in the past.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are pursuing trades which are in high demand in the pipeline construction industry such as: pipe trades, welding, and heavy equipment technicians.
Completion of the Somerville Indigenous Trades Apprenticeship Application Form
One reference letter from an instructor, mentor, community leader, or employer.
Participation in a telephone screening interview.
Application forms can be obtained via Trade Winds to Success at tradewindstosuccess.ca/resources or by calling at (877) 362-4771.
The successful candidate will be selected by a joint committee consisting of two members from Trade Winds to Success and one representative from Somerville.
Applicants will be notified by January 30, 2021.